|City of Onalaska Mayor, Roy Newport, has served the Onalaska community in many ways for many years. Roy was elected mayor of Onalaska in May, 2012. As Mayor he wants to work with the area citizens and businesses to help make Onalaska a City of Volunteers with emphasis on making Onalaska a more beautiful and pleasant city.
- Married to his child hood sweet heart, Sherry Sheffield Newport for 45 years
- Three children, Jan, Royce & James
- Five grandchildren, William, Michael, Victoria, Kaiden & Kyle
- Part time City employee
- Onalaska Building Inspector, Flood Plain Manager, Emergency Manager
- Charter member of the Onalaska Volunteer Fire Department for 37 years
- Served as Fire Chief for 11 years including Hurricanes "Ike" & "Rita"
- President & member of Board of Directors of Onalaska Water Supply for 25 years
- Public School teacher for 30 years
- Tax Collector/Business Manager for Onalaska ISD including bus driver & janitor.
- Laboratory Technician for Chemical Plant in Harris county 4 years.
- Early years worked as: cotton gin operation, farm work, sawing wood, working cattle, hauling hay, and other labor jobs of youth.
- College education from University of Houston, Texas A&M University, Stephen F. University and Bachelor's degree from Sam Houston University with double major in Math and Physics.
- Graduate courses in School Administration, Mathematics, Physics and computer
- Emergency Management Services
- Fireman via TEEX at College station, EMT with special skills
- Fire investigator and inspection.
- Plumbing, electrical, mechanical and building code inspection with code enforcement training.
- Flood Plain management training
- Elementary school in Harlingen (South Texas)
- One year in Onalaska Schools (8 grades in 2 classrooms)
- High School in Livingston (graduated top 10%)
Roy has volunteered as part of the Baptist Disaster Team deploying to disasters from California to Haiti for wild fires, tornadoes, ice storms, hurricanes, flooding and earth quakes.
Roy says, "I have many experiences from picking cotton to operating a nuclear reactor and a lot of activities in between, but my most rewarding was as a teacher educating our youth and helping our citizens through the fire department."
|ONALASKA CITY HALL
|372 South FM 356
P.O. Box 880
Onalaska, Texas 77360
(936) 646-2833 (fax)
ONALASKA ANNUAL SPRING CLEAN-UP
Saturday, April 22
ONALASKA VFD BARBECUE & AUCTION
Saturday, April 29
12:00pm to 3:00pm
ONALASKA MARKET DAYS
May 19, 20, 21
10:00am to 5:00pm